Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Own American English



Your Linguistic Profile:



55% General American English

30% Yankee

10% Upper Midwestern

5% Dixie

0% Midwestern





Anyone interested in words, languages, writing and communicating will be attracted to this who-knows-how-unscientific test that supposedly determines your own particular variety of American English. In my case, the 30% Yankee should come from my being a New Yorker, the 10% Upper Midwestern from being married to a Minnesotan-Iowan. But the 5% Dixie? I've never been down in the South beyond Alexandria, Virginia, and despite a certain tendency to catch local accents and phrases, I doubt I have anything whatsoever in my English from the KKK states (other than a preference for "y'all" over "you guys")

When I took the test again after almost three years, it came like this:

70% General American English

15% Yankee

5% Dixie

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern

I love to see how I've become just a plain general American. Wait 'til you hear my accent!