Tuesday, September 13, 2005

America (again)

Months ago there was an article on the (very young, corrupted) mayor of Detroit in Yahoo News.

I went to the Message Board, and of course everybody was screaming "n***ers destroy cities", "we're safe in the suburbs", etc.

So I tried to explain how the demise of Detroit and the creation of ghettos is pretty much a white thing, but also a very complicated chain of events along 20th century. They would say, "blacks rioted and white left". And I say, "blacks rioted because they were oppressed and segregated".

One from Michigan said "blacks destroyed the automobile cities of Michigan". And I say, "no, the automobile industry crisis since the 1950's killed the cities".

And then they kept on saying, "you black and your race", "you and your brothers", "stop blaming slavery".

So I had to explain a million times "I'm as pale white as the snow in the woods of Northern Minnesota".

And then they would say, "you're a liberal!", "why do you care for them".

So I left. Detroit's still in ruins.

(And Baltimore, Gary, Newark, Camden, Flint, Cleveland, Youngstown. New Orleans...)

America.